Edge Environment is seeking an experienced person with science, engineering or building materials background and a passion for sustainability. This position is a full-time role managing the development of the Building Resilience Rating Tool (BRRT) and associated initiatives to drive a resilient built environment. The BRRT is an industry leading initiative that aims to provide information and guidance concerning the resilience of residential buildings. The BRRT has been evolved over five years.
The role provides a unique opportunity to interact with a variety of stakeholders working in the built environment and sustainability industries. It also provides an opportunity for the right candidate to develop leading knowledge and contribute to the fast evolving climate change adaptation and resilience agendas.
Edge Environment is a leading consulting firm specialized in supporting companies to measure, understand and manage the environmental and social impacts of their products, services and operations. The hallmark of Edge Environment services is the practical application of the best available science, delivered with integrity.
Edge clients are pioneers in their markets who have the vision to see sustainability as a viable path to long-term economic prosperity. They come to Edge for genuine and progressive improvement in their products and services.
Edge team members are passionate about catalyzing change towards a more sustainable future. Edge provides a flexible, agile and collaborative working environment where team members are supported to reach their potential.
Required Qualifications and Skills:
Applicants should have a higher-level university degree in structural or civil engineering, science, or materials science. Applicants should demonstrate knowledge or experience in the following areas:
- Structural engineering and building design, with focus on wind, fire, and roof engineering
- Materials science preferably with a focus on building materials, including a strong understanding of the structural performance of building materials
- Climate change adaptation and resilience in regards to natural weather hazards such as flood, cyclone, bushfire and storm
- Experience with, or understanding of, geographic information system data
- Database design, development and management (excel experience required, web-based database knowledge preferred)
- Project management
- Technical research and report writing skills
Desirable Qualifications and Skills:
- Experience developing websites or web based tools
- Experience developing tools that rate building performance
- Experience with risk assessments
- Experience with standards and guidelines for climate risk assessment for buildings and infrastructure
- Knowledge of climate adaptation frameworks and methods for developing climate adaptation strategies
- Knowledge of local, state and national datasets
- Knowledge of natural hazards e.g. wind, bushfire, flood and how they impact on buildings and infrastructure and hazard mapping e.g. flood, coastal inundation, bushfire prone land, etc.
- Understanding of climate change projections
- Established relationships with data custodians and subject matter experts at federal and state agencies and universities
- Knowledge of impacts on the built environment across multiple infrastructure types e.g. water, energy, telecoms, buildings or ability to quickly learn technical information associated with these
- Experience applying systems thinking to determine priorities and cascading impacts
- Strong excel skills
- Experience using statistical software packages such as “R” or Matlab and/or experience writing software code
- Ability to plan, manage and deliver projects over several months
- Ability to work without close supervision
- A team spirit and a willingness to strive for excellence as part of a team of passionate professionals
Salary is dependent on experience and expertise. The role is likely to be at the Sustainability Consultant or Senior Sustainability Consultant level.
Applications should be concise and relate directly to the required and desirable skills/experience outlined above. Responses should include:
- A cover letter (maximum 2 pages) responding to the required and desirable skills/experience
- A resume summarizing your relevant employment history, experience, education and including contact details for two referees
Applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by close of business on Monday 21st December 2015.
Applicants shortlisted for further assessment will be contacted for an interview.