A.G. Coombs has been appointed by developers Lend Lease to deliver mechanical services to the second largest of three major commercial office towers in Sydney’s new Barangaroo South development.
The 42-storey tower, with a total area of 99,656 square metres, will sit on a large podium that will house a central (precinct) energy plant including a trigeneration system.
The company is responsible for the coordinated detailed design, supply, delivery, installation, and testing, commissioning certification, warranty and subsequent fine tuning and maintenance of the mechanical systems.
The company is also the lead services coordinator and responsible for the building information modelling
Mechanical services in the tower will include air handling units, ductwork, dampers and fire prevention, chilled beam installation, fans, ventilation systems, heat exchangers, boilers, water treatment, chilled water and heating water reticulation, pumps and variable speed drives, a building management control system and mechanical metering.
Innovative prefabrication and installation techniques
Significant components of the mechanical services will be fabricated off site including very large services risers and runs, and plant room components.
Effective prefabrication strategies require considerably different design, engineering, fabrication and site installation methodologies to that those applied in a traditional on-site build. The result is substantially reduced on-site construction time and a range of structural, safety and other benefits to the project stakeholders.
Building information modelling, the digitisation of mechanical and other building services, facilitates a range of new and improved design, fabrication and installation capabilities.
These result in system design performance improvements and capabilities including:
- virtual construction (pre installation) 4D modelling to remove system clashes and derive optimal build plans and improve on-site installation processes and safety
- novel site lay out and installation methods including 3D laser measurement and set-out using the digital model
- innovative installation technologies including pre cast services hangers, improved system access for safe maintenance
- detailed asset digital datasets with sophisticated functionality designed to best support ongoing operation, maintenance, energy efficiency and future change processes.
The company has also developed innovative pipe work flushing and cleaning strategies to improve system outcomes and significantly reduce installation and commissioning water usage, and integrated engineering and commissioning delivery methodologies.
Mechanical and heating, ventilation and airconditioning services will be responsible for a significant component of the building’s operational energy usage and environmental impact.
A.G. Coombs will:
- provide design solutions that address the demanding Climate Positive Barangaroo precinct master plan to achieve the benchmarks of carbon neutral for operating energy, net water positive and zero waste.
- install and commission energy efficient HVAC systems including state-of-the-art building management and controls.
- undertake comprehensive building tuning and system optimisation to maximise the building’s energy efficiency.
- provide sophisticated systems metering and monitoring systems, services documentation and operation and maintenance directions to underpin ongoing efficient operation.
- substantially reduce environmental impacts from construction by reducing material, energy, water and waste with improved design, prefabrication, fabrication, commissioning and maintenance methodologies.
Set across 7.8 hectares, Barangaroo South will include apartments, cultural facilities, shops, restaurants, a hotel and ‘International Towers Sydney’, a world class commercial office complex.
Designed by architects Lord Richard Rogers, and Ivan Harbour of Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners, the office towers will offer flexible workplaces, leading edge technology infrastructure and a zero carbon footprint.
As well as being one of the largest commercial developments in Australia, Barangaroo South will also be part of Australia’s first large-scale carbon neutral community and one of the world’s leading sustainable developments.
It has been accepted by the Green Building Council of Australia as a pilot project for the newly released Green Star – Communities PILOT rating tool, and singled out by the Clinton Climate Institute as pioneering a new era in sustainability and setting new benchmarks for others to follow.
The project is also targeting a six star Green Star Design (As Built v3) rating along with a minimum five star NABERS Energy rating.
The redevelopment is scheduled for completion in 2020.