Why Choose AECOM
With nearly 85,000 employees – including architects, engineers, designers, planners, scientists and management and construction services professionals – serving clients in more than 150 countries around the world following the acquisition of URS, AECOM is a premier, fully integrated infrastructure and support services firm. AECOM is ranked as the #1 engineering design firm by revenue in Engineering News-Record magazine’s annual industry rankings. A Fortune 500 firm, AECOM had revenue of approximately $18 billion during fiscal year 2015.
AECOM is currently looking to recruit an experienced Associate Director – Environmental Planner to join an established environmental impact assessment team [in Melbourne], to lead a wide range of large scale environmental impact assessment and approvals projects, across a number of exciting, high-profile, city-shaping projects across the infrastructure sector. The role will play a lead role in continuing to develop the environmental impact assessment business by developing and enhancing client relationships and winning work.
The role manages and directs professional and technical staff on complex projects and provides technical leadership based on significant experience in impact assessment, environmental management, statutory planning and stakeholder management.
AECOM is a dynamic company which facilitates change, meaning that opportunities for career growth and progression come up on a fairly regular basis. The role we currently have would lend itself to a wide range of personal career pathways through the organisation, with opportunities to move into areas including:
- Project lead and technical advisory roles
- Management roles
- Other geographies and business lines
- Key client business development roles
- An operational focus
- Manage and successful delivery of major environmental impact assessment and approvals projects through the environmental approval process.
- To provide technical leadership, to analyse client requirements and to conceive innovative, cost-effective and legislatively compliant solutions for projects and proposals, in order meet and exceed client expectations and to maintain AECOM’s position as a leader of infrastructure planning and environmental planning consultancy services.
- To work with environmental impact assessment practitioners during the production and editing of environmental impact assessments, and non-technical summaries.
- Taking a lead role in the management and development of the environmental impact assessment business, including generating opportunities and winning new environmental planning business.
- To identify and generate additional commercial opportunities in the course of project work and with existing clients.
- To play a pro-active and leading role in developing new clients and new proposal opportunities. To engage in effective planning marketing activities on a regular basis.
- To supervise and oversee work, and mentor, motivate and develop staff.
- To represent AECOM as an environmental planner at senior meetings and events.
- Develop and implement strategies for business growth
- Undertake peer review of technical and editorial content of deliverables
- Undertake ad hoc project related tasks as required which may include; studies and assessments, data analysis, technical writing, presentations, and legislation research
- Develop and maintain positive relationship with clients to enhance client retention and growth
- Effectively communicate in a professional manner with other project staff including subcontractors, suppliers, clients and the community to enhance working relationships and outcomes
- Receive general instruction on project tasks and undertake training for standard procedures
Key Role Requirements
- Appropriate tertiary qualification(s) (Environmental Science, Environmental Planning, Environmental Law, Environmental Engineering or similar)
- Approximately 10-15 years’ experience of successfully leading major impact assessment or environmental approval projects across a number of market sectors. Knowledge of and previous experience in the transport sector, and the Victorian approvals processes, would be beneficial
- The candidate will be a self-motivated, commercially aware planner, with the confidence, ability and experience to provide authoritative, strategic advice to junior staff and clients.
- Demonstrated commercial acumen
- Existing client relationships and proven results in business development skills
- Effective collaboration, organisation, negotiation and teaming skills
- Demonstrated experience in managing multi-disciplinary projects and meeting project goals and deliverables in a timely and profitable manner
- Strong oral and written communication skills; report writing, development of proposals
- Experience in successfully leading project teams
- Creativity, foresight and mature planning judgement in anticipating and solving problems.
- Ability to work with and guide internal teams throughout the business.
- Effective and persuasive leadership skills.
- Excellent communication and networking skills.
- Ability to represent the business to clients.
What We Offer
AECOM is a place where you can maximize your innovative thinking and collaborate with a diverse range of highly intelligent and talented people. It’s a place where you can apply your skills to some of the world’s most challenging, transformational, and iconic projects around the world.
We’re an Equal Opportunity Employer and we’ve committed to creating a culture that embraces flexibility for all team members. The diversity of our people, areas of practice and the markets we operate in is what truly makes AECOM a great place to work and grow.
Built to deliver a better world