Brief – 25 June, 2010 – SA Water House, which won the Development of the Year at the Property Council’s annual Rider Levett Bucknall Innovation and Excellence Awards, was developed by the Catholic Archdiocese of Adelaide in collaboration with architecture firm HASSELL and builders Hansen Yuncken,.
SA Water House was the first building in South Australia to be awarded the 6 Star Green Star – Office Design rating for its sustainable features, including:
- 70 per cent less water used than a conventional office building – saving 11 million litres of water per year
- Water efficient taps, toilets and waterless urinals with AAAA rating.
- Recycled water and rainwater for toilet flushing
- Collection of rainwater
- A 60 per cent reduction in the comparable greenhouse gas emissions of the base building and office fit out, as compared to average office developments.
- An onsite gas fired generator plant to decrease peak electricity and energy demand in hot weather. Waste heat is used by the building’s airconditioning system.
- A vertical glass veil to shade the west façade and sun shades to the north façade, significantly reducing energy consumption, together with automated blinds on external windows to uniformly control glare and heat.
- A central atrium and external glazed windows providing natural light to the work zones while reducing electricity consumption to lights.
- Open stairway in the central atrium to encourage movement between floors and reduce the reliance on lifts.
- Automatic light sensors
- Use of energy efficient office equipment
- Solar hot water
- 100 per cent use of fresh air for air conditioning under most seasonal conditions – promoting a healthier workplace environment.
- Use of sustainable building materials and products
- Dedicated recycling areas for waste
- A bike park, showers, change and locker facilities for over 140 bicycle commuters
- Encouraged use of public transport due to central CBD location
- Minimum of 80 per cent of demolition and construction waste diverted from landfill.
For more information click here