18 April 2013 — Standards Australia has published a new Australian Standard for electricity network safety management systems.
The standard – AS 5577—2013 Electricity network safety management systems – was developed by Technical Committee EN-004 comprising:
- Australian Pipeline Industry Association
- Communications, Electrical and Plumbing Union
- Department of Resources, Energy and Tourism
- Electrical Regulatory Authorities Council
- ElectroComms and Energy Utilities Industry Skills Council
- Energy Networks Association
- Grid Australia
- National Electrical and Communications Association
The standard follows a January 2012 Intergovernmental Agreement on Energy Supply Industry Safety, when Commonwealth, State and Territory first ministers agreed to progress the national harmonisation of energy technical and safety regulation across Australia.