Local government action:
Darebin Council in Victoria is working with the local community and businesses to implement a Community Climate Change Action Plan to reduce community greenhouse emissions across its municipality.
To help develop the plan the Council has established a Community Climate Change Reference Group with representatives of diverse community organisations.
It has also held a series of focus groups, staged a Community Leaders Forum and undertaken public consultation, including a web-based survey.
The action plan will be considered by Council on 15 June and, if approved, will be rolled out over the next four years. Some of the key actions proposed include:
• a zero net greenhouse gas emissions target for the Darebin community and businesses by 2020
• finding the best solar or high efficiency gas hot water systems for residents and scoping financing options to allow residents to pay off the new system through the savings they make on their energy bills
• a Darebin Climate Wise Business program including free energy assessments for Darebin businesses and industry
• assisting elderly people who receive Darebin’s home support services to see if they are eligible for the Federal Government’s funding package to install insulation and supporting those who have inadequate insulation to have it topped up
• working with the community to ensure culturally relevant information on climate change action is available in community languages.
The Draft version of the Community Climate Change Action Plan will be available at the end of April.