Seafood company John West Australia has nabbed the top gong at the Banksia Sustainability Awards for its strong drive to deliver a sustainable product and “communicate the importance of sustainable fishing among buyers”.
In awarding the Gold Banksia, the judges commended the company’s “courage to talk to, encourage and engage with their consumers”, and said it was important to effectively communicate a business’ sustainability objectives to the public, ensuring that consumers’ buying behaviour is shaped around sustainability.
The ocean seemed to be a key feature of the night, with the Banksia International Award going to Professor Ove Hoegh-Guldberg for his “leadership and commitment in protecting the world’s oceans and coral reefs, as well as his game-changing research on the impacts of climate change worldwide”.
“Professor Hoegh-Guldberg’s desire to communicate science more effectively, partake in research and to find high impact solutions is what is needed on a global scale to ensure our future sustainability,” a Banksia Foundation statement said.
The 202020 Vision took out the Sustainable Cities Award for its work on getting together organisations to create 20 per cent more green space in urban areas by 2020.
Other winners included:
- The Environment and Energy Minister’s Award for a Cleaner Environment: Science and Research – FeralScan by the Invasive Animals Cooperative Research Centre
- The Environment and Energy Minister’s Award for a Cleaner Environment: Community Environmental Leadership – Dr Tony Parkes
- Australia Banksia Communication for Change Award – John West: Committed to a sustainable seafood future
- Banksia Food for Sustainable Thought Award – Natural Evolution
- Banksia Indigenous Leadership for Sustainability Award – AshOil
- Banksia Large Business Sustainability Leadership Award – Kathmandu
- Banksia Leadership in the Circular Economy Award – TIC Group
- Banksia Mindful Movement Award – Sendle
- Banksia Natural Capital Award – The Yarra Yarra Biodiversity Corridor by Carbon Neutral in partnership with Auscarbon
- Banksia Small to Medium Business Sustainability Leadership Award – The Farmer’s Place
- Banksia Smart Award – Infratech Industries Pty Ltd
- Banksia Sustainable & Resilient Communities Award – The Manymak Energy Efficiency Project Consortium