12 March 2014 — Good Environmental Choice Australia is seeking feedback from developers, manufacturers and infrastructure project teams on which additional standards it should develop to help projects earn points under the Infrastructure Sustainability Council of Australia’s rating scheme.
The IS scheme awards ratings to infrastructure projects to demonstrate sustainability performance, and aims to reward procurement and use of major materials that have environmental labels or are from sustainable supply chains.
See our article Softly, softly on the hard task of sustainable infrastructure
Under the Mat-2 credit in the Materials category, points are awarded for projects seeking “As Built” and “Operation” ratings that use products from environmental labelling schemes, including GECA certified products.
Points are awarded based on the number or percentage of materials used that are certified:
- Level 1 (0.25 points): one material/product is certified.
- Level 2 (0.50 points): 10-20 per cent of materials/products by value are certified.
- Level 3 (0.75 points): >20 per cent of materials/products by value are certified.
Current GECA standards that can contribute to points under the IS rating tool include:
- Panel boards, such as:
- BGC panel boards
- Boral plasterboard
- CSR Gyprock products
- Floor coverings, such as:
- JustMats RolaDek aluminium matting system
- Regupol Everroll recycled rubber flooring
- Furniture, fittings and foam, such as:
- Madinoz doorhandles
- Studform aluminium partitioning systems and doors
- Hufcor and Kyissa toilet cubicles and partitioning
- Paints and coatings, such as:
- Ecolour paints
- Rockcote Enterprises exterior architectural paints
- Thermal building insulation materials, such as:
- Fletcher insulation
- Siam Fiberglass
- Environmentally innovative products, such as:
- CSR aerated concrete blocks, floor and walls
- Termicide Pest Control recycled glass termite barrier
GECA is calling for suggestions for new categories to develop applicable standards and help infrastructure projects achieve better IS ratings.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.