OBJECTIVE OF THE ROLE
The Sustainability Manager (SM) will be an integral member of the JLL Account Team and will provide a major client with a single point of contact for all sustainability and environmental issues. The Sustainability Manager will assist the major client in ensuring that owned and leased premises comply with environmental legislation and policy requirements.
The Sustainability Manager will be responsible for:
- Development and implementation of a Sustainability and Environmental Management Plan (SEMP), including legal compliance, risk management, statutory and internal reporting of energy efficiency, water use, waste and recycling and sustainable procurement.
- Delivery and management of the major client Sustainability Program, involving stakeholder engagement at all levels, development and delivery of sustainability and environmental training, monitoring and reporting (ad hoc, monthly and annual).
- Actively engaging with Facility Managers to identify and manage environmental risks, minimise consumption, reduce costs and manage peak demand. Ensure that operation of owned and leased properties is in a manner that minimises energy and water consumption.
- Engage with and manage sub-contractors.
- In collaboration with the WHS, Risk and Compliance Director, ensuring that contractors of any sustainability-related services meet compliance or procedural requirements around environment, sustainability and risk management.
- In collaboration with major client, Facility Managers and JLL Finance teams, monitor and report on sustainability and environmental performance including identifying and providing recommendations for energy, water and waste saving initiatives.
- Review and refine technical and commercial aspects of sustainability upgrades and tenant fit out proposals to ensure compliance with sustainability standards.
- Tracking and reporting on obligations of Green Lease Schedules, including regular reports, facilitating building management committee meetings and establishing energy management plans.
- Development and delivery of training and educational materials based on JLLs best practice knowledge from around the world. The SM will be an on-call resource for stakeholders to direct questions around implementation of sustainability and environmental obligations.
- Ensuring that all activities under our operational control are conducted and operated in accordance with relevant environmental legislation and/or guidelines. Additionally, the SM shall periodically monitor risks that may be outside of operational control to ensure that environmental risks are under adequate control.
- Advisory services, including assessment of proposals for energy reduction initiatives, projects, Green Leases, fit-outs or other related projects/services as required.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Possess a passion for sustainability issues and university qualified in Engineering, Environmental Science, Business or a related field.
- 7-10 years post education industry experience, ideally in a property-focused sustainability role.
- Skills derived in a consulting, business development, solutions development, technical delivery, or client relationship management role are also highly regarded.
- Technical experience reviewing and refining technical and commercial aspects of sustainability upgrades.
- Existing buildings experience, particularly within the context of Facilities Management or Property Management with a strong preference for experience in conducting building energy audits, NABERS ratings, and building upgrades.
- Superior communication and people skills – capable of engaging and influencing stakeholders at all levels.
- Proven capabilities in managing complex client relationships and competing priorities, while delivering strong financial outcomes.
- Developing and enhancing systems and processes for delivering best practice sustainability performance and use of utility/sustainability management systems for monitoring and/or reporting purposes.
- Strategic thinking and planning ability.
- Proficient in MS Office product suite including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Strong project management skills and an ability to prioritise and meet deadlines in a high pressure, deadline driven environment
- Experience in engaging and managing sub-contractors.