- Job Title: Senior Team Leader
- Job Grade/Classification: Environment Officer Class 12
- Employment Type: Full Time, Temporary to
- Location: Sydney. Our offices will move to Parramatta end of 2019.
The Department of Planning & Environment is the lead NSW Government agency in planning for a growing NSW. The Department is going through an exciting period of organisational and operational change.
The Department’s vision – “Planning for growing NSW: inspiring strong communities, protecting our environment” – provides the benchmark for our partnership and leadership approach to engaging and working collaboratively with key State and Local Government, community and industry stakeholders to deliver better outcomes in the areas of planning, local government and the environment.
The Department’s two related agencies – the Office of Environment & Heritage and the Office of Local Government – support the conservation and protection of the environment and an effective local government sector in NSW.
Communities and Greater Sydney Delivery acts as a catalyst for change by bringing together functions which support our communities to be thriving, sustainable and resilient. The Division seeks to strengthen communities and partnerships across NSW through programs and grants for energy efficiency, sustainability, climate change adaptation, coast and flood protection. It has a strong focus on liveability issues in Greater Sydney, including protecting cultural heritage and urban biodiversity, and strategic biodiversity planning.
The Sustainability Programs Branch within the Division is an established Branch of around 80 committed people, delivering great sustainability program outcomes for households, businesses, government and the community.
More information on the Office of Environment and Heritage Corporate strategy and its role as a catalyst for change can be found here.
The NSW Office of Environment and Heritage (OEH) is a part of the Planning and Environment Cluster. It works to connect communities to conservation and culture to deliver great outcomes for the environment and heritage. For more information go to www.environment.nsw.gov.au
The Communities and Greater Sydney Division brings together functions which support our communities to be thriving, sustainable and resilient.
We have recently received NSW Government funding to deliver several new energy efficiency programs and maintain momentum on existing programs.
An exciting opportunity awaits a passionate, forward thinking leader with great stakeholder and client skills.
About the role:
You will lead the development and execution of programs to ensure NSW reaches Net Zero emissions by 2050 and enable the Government to position NSW as a leader in sustainability and innovation. For more information click here.
You will achieve this by leading a team of motivated staff to develop and deliver collaborative and integrated Energy and Sustainability programs. You will also actively support and advance a work culture and environment and where people can articulate the vision for our branch, have a clear sense of purpose, can see how they make a difference and enjoy coming to work.
- This Senior Team Leader works closely and collaborates with internal and external stakeholders, supporting them by:
Coordinating and delivering a range of activities including (but not limited to) Climate Change fund funded Energy programs.
- Leading by example living the “One Team” culture within the Sustainability Programs Branch to maintain an engaging and supportive environment for staff
- Engaging with and seeking direction from your Strategic Delivery Manager on the monitoring, tracking, reporting and communication of program activities against objectives to ensure they are delivered on time and to budget.
- Role model and encourage program delivery in collaboration with relevant internal individuals and teams to reduce duplication and maximise impact.
- Advocate the Branch’s culture and programs to new and relevant audiences by partnering with the Program services communications and digital teams.
- Lead engagement with Policy and other government departments to fulfil their requests and ensure the alignment of objectives where possible and practical.
Primary purpose of the role
Lead a team that will, through stakeholder networks, partnerships and/or strategic outsourcing, develop, deliver, promote and monitor quality sustainability projects across NSW and contribute directly to the evolution, design and delivery of future programs.
- Superior knowledge of the operational and strategic requirements for the successful delivery of sustainability programs.
- High level experience to develop, implement and monitor strategic and operational plans to deliver complex programs, with a track record of providing direction and results achievement through multidisciplinary and geographically dispersed teams.
- A people person who adds value to your peers and external stakeholders through understanding and collaboration.
- Energy or Sustainability practitioner skilled at delivering strategic and operational plans
- Able to effectively manage teams and link individual performance to program, organisational and NSW objectives
- A planning and prioritising super star, with the skills to lead and manage the team in a complex working environment
- A quick learner with the ability to understand and act on technical information, together with providing timely accurate advice to key stakeholders.
- Someone who has experience with Energy Management and related services, ideally with exposure to the development and delivery of workplace or related training diciplines.
A Recruitment Pool may be established for future temporary roles with similar focus capabilities. The Recruitment Pool may be available to hiring managers from OEH and other NSW Public Sector agencies over a 12 month period.
Our commitment to diversity and flexibility:
At the Planning and Environment Cluster, we believe a diverse and inclusive workforce contributes to the success of our business and are committed to ensuring that our workforce reflects the communities of NSW.
We understand that flexibility means different things to different people and are committed to offering flexible work arrangements where and when possible.
Good to know:
A Recruitment Pool may be established for future temporary and ongoing roles with similar focus capabilities. The Recruitment Pool may be available to hiring managers from DPE and other NSW Public Sector agencies over a 12-month period.
Complete all the questions in the online application.
Please provide a 2-page letter outlining specific examples to show how your experience (4000-character limit per question) meets the focus capabilities and other essential requirements of the role. (Refer to the role description for details about the capabilities and the associated behavioural indicators. The role description also lists the essential role requirements.)
Applications Close: Wednesday 27th March 2019.
Should you require further information about the role please contact; Stephen Procter (02) 8837 6337 or Stephen.firstname.lastname@example.org.