This senior policy position provides a rare opportunity for an enthusiastic and motivated candidate to demonstrate their capability in legal policy, advocacy and negotiation in a challenging and multi-faceted role. Reporting directly to the CEO, you will have the opportunity to effect positive policy change, and build trusted relationships with senior business leaders and government representatives across Australia.
- Variety and autonomy
- High performing and friendly team
- Opportunity to build profile and networks
Position Type | Full Time
Location | Sydney CBD
Consult Australia is the industry association that represents the business interests of consulting firms operating in the built and natural environment. Our member firm services include: design, architecture, engineering, planning, project management and management solutions. We represent some of the industry’s biggest players in this space with 270 member firms collectively employing more than 50,000 staff.
We exist to improve the business environment for our member firms by offering a large range of products and services to help them run their business, as well as lobbying governments on their behalf to improve their operating environment.
At Consult Australia, you will work autonomously as part of a community of professionals and enjoy a respectful, friendly and flexible culture that rewards hard work. We are a small non-profit organisation without a lot of bureaucracy. A high-performing organisation, you will be inspired by working with experienced professionals whilst working on a diverse range of interesting issues.
Our Senior Policy Adviser (Legal & Government Relations) leads the development and delivery of campaigns and policy supporting better: procurement, contracting, professional standards, as well as a range of other issues on behalf of, and in collaboration with our member firms.
This role carries significant individual responsibility and requires initiative and a practical approach.
As part of a close-knit team operating out of the national office in the Sydney CBD, you will:
- Create and identify opportunities to influence policy makers and other stakeholders on issues associated with procurement practice, contracting, professional standards, and a range of other issues.
- Establish and build relationships with key contacts across governments, bureaucracy, delivery agencies and industry.
- Engage and represent an influential cross-section of leading Australian firms supported by an active network of senior industry leaders.
- Manage a small number of high-level committees and focused task groups supporting member-led policy development, advice and advocacy.
- Identify, develop and implement pro-active and reactive policy campaigns at all levels of government, including through the use of: events, correspondence, submissions, and key stakeholder relationships.
- Coordinate and lead meetings, groups and events that support Consult Australia’s strategic and policy objectives.
- Work internally within the organisation to develop the knowledge and capacity of key staff to support advocacy activities across the states and territories.
Tertiary qualifications in law alongside a broad understanding of the political environment, and demonstrated experience leading policy development and related advocacy activities are a must. You will demonstrate exceptional skills and experience in communication, advocacy, negotiation and relationship management, supported by effective written communication skills.
A national focus for this role will include advocacy supporting Consult Australia’s state and territory divisions. Regular domestic travel will be required.
An attractive remuneration package will be negotiated with the successful candidate based on skills and experience.
The successful candidate will be a senior leader, accustomed to collaborating in a complex environment. The defining features of the role are excellence in problem-solving, strong stakeholder and partnership management and excellent judgement. You must have a passion for people and have a style that genuinely engenders partnership.
We are a small team so while you will need a head for strategy and an ability to work at a senior level with at least 5 years experience, you will also need to be a hands-on operator.
You will also be:
- Proactive and self-motivated. You will have enjoyed working in an unstructured environment where you are able to recognise what needs to be done to achieve results and proactively motivate and manage yourself to achieve these results. You demonstrate sound judgement and a common sense approach. You are solutions focussed, thrive on challenges and see the glass as half-full.
- Results driven and accountable. You will be goal oriented and have had experience successfully managing multiple tasks and timeframes. You want to be held accountable for successes and failures. You share the credit and take responsibility.
- Collaborative. You will have experience building productive stakeholder relationships across a range of sectors to identify and advance common issues of interest.
- A professional communicator, both verbally and in writing. You are a no nonsense person and a straight talker who is personable but direct. You write clearly, concisely, and with sensitivity to your audience.
- A savvy negotiator. You will demonstrate tact, sensitivity and good judgement to manage high-level relationships that deliver results.
- Able to quickly grasp complex issues. Our membership is made up of highly intelligent, successful business owners who face complex issues. In order to effectively represent their interests you must demonstrate your ability to understand the issues they face and identify solutions.
- Organised. You are highly organised, able to manage a complex program of events and meetings.
- Likable/personable with a high level of emotional intelligence. A must to fit in with our small, diverse and highly dynamic team.
- A team player. You work collaboratively with others and are willing to assist when you see an opportunity to help. You share information, address conflict professionally and fulfil commitments. You recognise that we are a team and take the time to support your colleagues.
- Very professional in presentation. We like attention to detail.
- Innovative. You are a lateral thinker who can visualise and sell different approaches and solutions.
Please forward your resume and a brief cover letter to: email@example.com