A career at Arup offers you the chance to make a positive difference in the world. Independently owned and independently minded, Arup is the creative force at the heart of many of the world’s most prominent projects in the built environment. We offer a broad range of professional services that combine to make a real difference to our clients and the communities in which we work.
We are truly global, and our 15,000 planners, designers, engineers and consultants around the world deliver innovative projects with creativity and passion.
We are looking for senior leaders within our Melbourne Sustainability Team to work with us on delivering more sustainable infrastructure, precincts and cities. You will work with a team of passionate professionals servicing Arup’s major project portfolio as well as serving the wider market to create positive change. This is an opportunity to live your passion and realise a meaningful career in sustainable development, which is at the heart of Arup’s global strategy.
Your role will be focused on making a significant difference to the sustainability of both our business, and our broader Arup business with a focus on delivering sustainability of highly complex delivery projects across Rail, Roads/Highways, Aviation, Ports, Buildings and Precincts. You will leverage, and build on, your existing long term, trusted relationships in Victorian and South Australian markets. Your role includes leading sustainability initiatives across the whole Arup business and influence on how our various business groups deliver services, and design, more sustainably. You will recognise the impact sustainability can have on all types of projects and have the drive to influence at all levels across the business.
You will have:
- Relevant industry experience in a consulting, private industry or a government environment (15+ years)
- Recognised tertiary qualifications in relevant topic
- Experience across the following areas will be highly beneficial: sustainability, resilience, carbon, energy, climate change, ISCA or circular economy
- Project management and business development experience is required
- Experience working on major complex multi-disciplinary projects in infrastructure and/or urban development and integrating sustainability technical expertise
- Membership of relevant professional institutions/professional peer bodies or significant credit towards eligibility for membership
- Proven working knowledge of relevant legislation, regulations, codes of practice, and guidelines.
- • Ability to communicate with people at all levels in both technical and non-technical environments
- • Motivated to become a champion for change management/behavioural change regarding embedding sustainability concepts and visions in other parts of the business, as well as contributing to overarching strategies, working groups (SDG as an example) and contributing to internal research and development
- • Excellent written communication and report writing skills
- • Ability to maintain personal effectiveness particularly during periods of higher than normal workload
- • Ability to remain positively motivated and foster team spirit under pressure, including assisting others to meet deadlines
- Desire to excel
About the role
The role’s focus is to provide professional leadership to the Sustainability team in Victoria. Your responsibilities will include:
- Assisting with building a thriving and impactful sustainability business and being known as a change maker within the local market
- Delivering excellence across sustainability projects (quality, timely delivery, co-ordination, and with positive commercial outcomes)
- Guiding and leading members of the Environment and Resources team, through positive role modelling, mentorship and sponsoring. Supporting the team with technical and personal growth
- Proactively collaborate with staff across the region and the business to share resources, opportunities and to manage team capacity through predicting and planning resourcing requirements
- Represent Arup and demonstrate our values and ethics at internal and external meetings
- You will be accountable for executing responsibilities as outlined in Arup’s Quality Management System
- Assisting with implementing the Sustainability Services Plan for the Australasia region in alignment with the Global and Regional Strategy
- Accountable for day to day operations in area of technical functional expertise
- Maintaining a strong interest in, and understanding of, and passion for, all aspects of the sustainability field, and in creating positive change
Delivering high quality tenders and proposals, including negotiating agreements with customers and suppliers in order to achieve financial targets.
The people at Arup are driven to find a better way and to deliver better solutions for our clients.
Take advantage of Arup’s flexible working culture to set and drive your agenda; we are open to candidates seeking a more flexible working week, including part-time/reduced hours.
We offer a competitive remuneration package commensurate with qualifications and experience to the right candidate including a global profit share scheme, excellent staff benefits and long-term career development opportunities.
Arup are an equal opportunities employer and actively welcome applications from a diverse group of people, including those who are seeking flexible working, have accessibility needs, want to bring their whole selves to work, and can enrich our workforce with their particular diversity.