Website Sustainable Built Environments
Environmental Engineering Consultants
Sustainable Built Environments (SBE) is an independent ESD Consultancy firm with over 20 years of experience working for clients, architects, engineering firms, educational institutions, local Councils and State and National Government bodies.
Co-located with the international Architectural practice Peddle Thorp / HSPC within the Melbourne CBD, SBE is seeking an ESD Engineer to support its mission to provide high quality ESD support both internally to the PTA HSPC team and to external clients.
Working alongside the SBE Director, it is intended that the successful candidate will help transform Peddle Thorp/HSPC into a world leading design firm with ESD accountability at the forefront of its design philosophy.
Ideally, the successful candidate will have:
1. Good communications skills both written and oral
2. Mechanical Engineering background
3. Significant experience with IES VE, ModelIT, APACHE HVAC, Radiance and FLUCHs
4. Familiarity with the IES GAIA tool and the One Click LCA tool or an equivalent
5. NABERS qualification or working towards NABERS Certification
6. GSAP and experience with GSAP submissions
7. NCC Section J1-3 DTS and JV3 assessments
8. Confidence and experience with Energy modeling including being able to model variables in natural/hybrid ventilation, air tightness, heat recovery, thermal mass and a labyrinth.
9. Capability to model/incorporate full building systems such a pool water heating, large on-site generation, battery and thermal storage, central plant etc., with post processing as required and to produce reports to a Green Star standard.
10. Experience with MUSIC modeling would be a plus.
11. Experience with PassivHaus would be a plus.
1. ESD consulting to the Architectural team as an in-house ESD expert
2. You will support the adoption of passive design philosophies, including life cycle and carbon accounting. You will advise on the adoption of active technologies and you will have the opportunity to follow and guide the design through to completion and beyond with Green Star and NABERS submissions to follow.
3. Green Star, Section J and other ESD support to the Architectural teams – internal and external
4. Early feasibility studies, energy, water, IEQ, carbon accounting and LCA assessments for the Architectural team – developed as an ESG reporting mechanism for the firm.
5. At least 50% of your work will be with external clients (developers, architects and councils) delivering ESD services ranging from town planning to Green Star and other engineering services.
6. Ongoing research and development in your fields of expertise and interest where it can be shown to help grow the profile of the firm.
What we offer
1. An opportunity to work within a dynamic design office alongside Architects delivering ESD guidance on large national and international projects with high ESD expectations from their inception.
2. A large degree of autonomy and the encouragement to develop strong working relationships with the internal architectural teams and external clients.
3. Support for ongoing research and development in your fields of expertise and interest.
4. A supportive, friendly and social working environment.