The winners of the AIRAH Awards 2016 were announced at a glittering black-tie gala held at Sydney’s Luna Park on Thursday, November 10.
Now established as the HVAC&R industry’s top accolades, the AIRAH Awards honour the outstanding individuals, projects, and products of the past year. Representing all facets of the industry, this year’s winners included a solar-thermal PhD student, a NABERS program manager, an immersion-based cooling system, an innovative
6 Star Green Star university building, and an energy-efficient supermarket retrofit.
“The 2016 AIRAH Awards winners are all doing their part to shape our industry, but also that of the greater built environment,” says AIRAH CEO Tony Gleeson, M. AIRAH. “The judging panel had the unenviable task of choosing the winners from a truly outstanding group of finalists – it is the most competitive field year we’ve ever had. I’d like to congratulate our impressive and inspiring winners, as well as acknowledge the exceptional work and quality of all the finalists. It goes without saying that these people, projects, and products are a beacon for excellence and innovation in our industry.”
Winners of the AIRAH Awards 2016 are:
- AIRAH Future Leader Award: Carlos Flores, M.AIRAH, from NABERS
- Research Student of the Year: Xiaolin Wang, Stud.AIRAH
- Trade Student of the Year: Michael Snook, Affil.AIRAH
- Award for Excellence in Innovation: Lommers Engineering’s DownUnder GeoSolutions High-Performance Computer Cooling Systems
- Award for Excellence in Sustainability: the work by Umow Lai on the School of Design at the University of Melbourne
- Best HVAC&R Retrofit or Upgrade: Refrigeration Innovations’ work at the IGA Boccaccio Cellars, Melbourne
- Product of the Year: Fast Works’ X-Operative TAB
- WR Ahern Award: Josh Wall, M.AIRAH – “Predictive control of refrigerated facilities for improved energy management.”
The AIRAH Awards 2016 sponsors are Mitsubishi Electric (event sponsor),
A.G. Coombs (Future Leader), NABERS (Excellence in Sustainability), Standards Australia (Excellence in Innovation), Grosvenor Engineering Group (Student of the Year), ActronAir (dinner sponsor and Best HVAC&R Retrofit or Upgrade), and
Daikin (after-dinner speaker sponsor).
For more information about the AIRAH Awards 2016, go to www.airahawards.org.au