25 July 2013 — Businesses looking to choose and manage energy efficient office space are being given a helping hand by The Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors, in partnership with NABERS and CitySwitch Green Office.
Free sessions on the topic, with support from the federal, state and city governments along with property professions, will be held around Australia in August and September.
The event will also include the launch of the RICS “LEASA” mobile application and guide for small to medium office tenants.
RICS says that moving offices can be a complex process for commercial office tenants.
“With multiple issues and choices to consider, tenants often underestimate the long-term benefits of both choosing an energy efficient space and managing it effectively.
“In this national series, federal, state and city governments are collaborating with the property professions to provide tenants with new guidance, tools and best-practice for improved outcomes in the leasing process.”
The sessions, to be held in Sydney, Canberra and Melbourne in August, and Adelaide, Perth and Brisbane in September, will:
- Demonstrate the business case for choosing a high-performance building
- Help tenants choose the best space to save on operational costs and become more energy efficient
- Support property agents and tenant advocates to use the best tools and approaches when advising tenants
- Enable property owners to better profile their commercial office space for lease.
The launch of the mobile app and guide will help SME businesses better understand the office leasing process and energy efficiency.
Included is a mobile and desktop app that helps compare energy, occupancy and lighting costs of a space for lease as well as track energy bills. An accompanying guide will outline the key priorities and best practice criteria for finding a new workspace.
The app will help SME commercial office tenants to:
- compare and rank different space available for lease
- calculate and compare the occupancy costs of space for lease
- calculate and compare tenancy energy costs of space for lease
- calculate and compare tenancy lighting costs of space for lease
- search the BEEC database
- track tenancy energy bills
- understand simply how choosing different space and/or changing other tenancy variables (for example, lighting efficiency) effects the energy efficiency and/or cost of that space.
The app will be available for the iPhone/iPad, Google and Android mobile devices and for any desktop web browser.
RICS has also produced a simple, user friendly guide, Choosing and Managing Energy Efficient Space – A best practice Guide for SME Commercial Office Tenants, which explains how to use the application tools.
The project received funding from the Australian Government Department of Resources, Energy and Tourism as part of the Energy Efficiency Information Grants Program.
The session are free but bookings are essential. For details contact Nick Hudson at firstname.lastname@example.org.