14 January 2010 – Global engineering, consulting and construction firm MWH on Friday said it had donated $50,000 to the Premier’s Flood Relief Appeal in Queensland. And the City of Sydney is likely to approve a $200,000 pledge to the fund at its extraordinary council meeting on 31 January.
- Please send news of donations from the property sector to firstname.lastname@example.org
MWH said more than 100 of its staff from among its four Queensland offices had been affected by the devastating floods though none had been harmed.
Chairman and chief executive officer Robert Uhler said, “We’re very concerned about the safety of our employees as well as all of the residents of Queensland. Our thoughts are with everyone.
“In addition…we are reaching out to our clients and partners in Queensland to offer assistance with the cleanup. At the moment, it is uncertain what form any assistance might take because of the high flood waters, but we are ready to assist when it is safe to do so.”
Managing director Australia Peter Williams said: “A number of our people are already out in the field, helping with the recovery. Our transportation team is working on the restoration of roads damaged in the Fitzroy region and water engineers have been deployed around the south east of the state to get the water and wastewater infrastructure back up and functioning.”
In Australia MWH said it would further match, dollar-for-dollar, the money raised by staff.
Sydney Lord Mayor Clover Moore said she would recommend that Sydney City Council would also contribute clean up crews and equipment in addition to the financial commitment.