19 June 2013 — MobileMuster – a not-for-profit mobile telecommunications industry recycling program – has announced the winners of the 2013 Local Government Awards.
Five councils from around Australia were recognised for their commitment to keep old mobiles in their local area out of landfill.
The awards and winners were:
- Top Collector Overall – City of Monash (VIC)
- Top Collector Per Capita – Bruce Rock Shire Council (WA)
- Best Promoter – Camden Council (NSW)
- Working with Schools – The Hills Shire (NSW)
- National Excellence – City of Vincent (WA)
“We work closely with our council partners to ensure that their local communities have easy, free access to mobile phone recycling in their local area,” said recycling manager of MobileMuster Rose Read. “Last year MobileMuster recycled over 117 tonnes of old mobile phone components.”
“Recycling through the program last year replaced the need to mine over 1165 tonnes of precious metals and had the environmental benefit of planting 5600 trees – our council partners play an important part in this impact.”