- POSITION: Environmental Designer
- LOCATION: Sydney, Australia
- START DATE: Quarter four 2021
Atelier Ten Australia is recruiting for a full-time Environmental Designer and ESD Consultant in our Sydney office.
ABOUT ATELIER TEN
We are an international environmental design consultancy creating high-performance, sustainable, award-winning buildings. Buildings that give back to the wider environment, don’t waste resources and make people feel good. We have been designing for the climate emergency since our founding in 1990. Read more on our website.
Atelier Ten is committed to fostering an environment of inclusion and diversity. We seek applicants from all backgrounds to ensure we get the best, most innovative talent on our team.
ABOUT THE ROLE
You will help create highly innovative, sustainable, healthy, and resilient buildings and places. As an ESD consultant and environmental designer, you will be responsible for developing sustainability visions, identifying and recommending appropriate ESD initiatives, integrating them into the master plans and building designs, and guiding them through benchmarking programs like Green Star, NABERS, and WELL Building.
In your full-time role as an Environmental Designer you will:
- Work closely with great architects and engineers, inspiring design consultants, and enlightened clients to shape a more sustainable world.
- Contribute, develop, and integrate sustainable design measures within buildings, landscape, and place projects in Australia and overseas.
- Manage aspects of building and master planning projects, with support from Associates and Directors.
- Maintain enthusiasm for project sustainability ambitions with clients and the project design team.
- Conduct technical environmental studies including daylight, energy, and thermal comfort analysis, with support from international practice leaders.
- Manage project green building certification programs like Green Star, WELL, NABERS and Living Building Challenge.
- Create explanatory diagrams, illustrations, and text.
- Manage your tasks to time budgets, ensuring reliable project delivery.
- Guide graduate staff in technical tasks.
- Develop local expertise in technical design practices and share that knowledge with A10’s global team.
Of course, we will encourage you to develop your own skills too and support your development towards becoming a Senior Designer. We will also support your participation in professional and client organisations, teaching, and thought leadership activities.
WHAT WE OFFER
In return for your expertise, enthusiasm, and commitment, you get:
- A competitive salary
- Exciting project work with substantial project responsibilities
- Collaborative design opportunities with leading sustainability thinkers and design practitioners
- Broad industry exposure
- A flexible work environment
- International work experience
- Excellent opportunities for career growth
- Extensive training opportunities
- Enthusiastic workmates, insightful mentors, and our global network of sustainability experts
- Perhaps most importantly, you will get the freedom to contribute ideas and play an active part in the design process. You will make a genuine difference, proactively, in a way that’s not always possible in other compliance-focused ESD role.
WHO ARE YOU?
We are looking for someone with at least 3 years of Australian consulting experience in ESD, including experience in aspects of building physics work, energy and daylight modelling, thermal comfort analysis, integrated environmental design consulting, and experience with green building benchmarking tools like Green Star, WELL, and NABERS.
You will have an all-rounder’s understanding of environmental design opportunities and some area of ESD expertise. You will collaboratively solve problems with project teams, and you will effectively communicate the design implications of innovative environmental strategies.
You’re proactive, self-motivated, a team player, and comfortable taking responsibility across multiple sustainable building projects. You get excited about learning new things and enjoy sharing your skills and knowledge across the company.
- Masters degree or equivalent 5-yr Bachelor degree in a field related to environmental or sustainable building design, architecture, mechanical or building services engineering, or building science.
- 3+ years’ experience in an ESD, environmental design or sustainable built environment consulting role.
- Green Star AP and Green Star project experience.
- Excellent graphic, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Appropriate work visa status.
- Project-applied experience in environmental analysis tools such as Ladybug Tools for Grasshopper, Radiance/Daysim/DIVA, WUFI, or THERM.
- Professional project experience with whole-building energy modelling tools like IES VE, EnergyPlus, DesignBuilder, or eQuest/DOE2.
- Experience conducting Life Cycle Assessments or embodied carbon calculations,
- WELL AP and healthy building design experience.
- Experience as NABERS Estimator or Assessor.
- Project management experience.
- Experience with project proposals and sales.
If you are someone who has some of these skills, or others that we might find valuable, we would love to hear from you!
If you’re a little bit design-focused, a big bit technical, and keen to shape a more sustainable future, come and make a difference with us.
Please send a cover letter and resume in PDF format to email@example.com and title your email ‘Environmental Designer Role’. No phone calls, please.